[AJD] Related Question

chester win deadeyedk at go.com
Mon Feb 14 15:57:03 PST 2005

Ken,

Can not help with a web sight, but hope I can answer any questions you have as far as basic use.  Let's assume you bought a magnetic base or other means to solidly fix the indicator in place and assume you now want to check the end play for a shaft.  Finangle the magnetic base or other fixture in a place so the indicator tip can be placed against end of said shaft with at least some travel of the indicator used, or to put it another way, with the indicator spring slightly loaded.   With the shaft manually pushed one direction, you now have a stable starting point.  Turn the outer dial ring to set a zero reading or take note of what number the pointer is on.  Next, move the shaft full travel the other way. Take reading from the dial. If you started at zero, and now have a reading of .006", then that is the amount of end play.

In the same manner, you can measure the travel of any moving part on which you can obtain a stable location on the axis of the play.

Have I understood your question correctly?  I would be helpful to know the type of indicator you have in terms of reading increments and traverl range.  I am guessing it may be a round dial type with one or two inch range.

If I can answer any specific questions, feel free to e mail me off list. I have a pretty good working knowledge if instruments.

Charlie V.