[AT] farm machinery films

Chuck Bealke bealke at airmail.net
Sun Feb 13 23:32:09 PST 2005

Ralph et al,

I few years ago I bought a VHS of the '57 or '58 John Deere Days movie from Two-Cylinder club.  I had gone to the original local dealer showing on a rainy Feb. evening, and still remember the time fondly.  The dealer would always raffle off a few goodies after the movie, and I had won a tractor gas funnel that night - the kind that attaches like the gas cap and is rigid enough to rest a 5-gal can on while your pour to refuel in the field. Like you,  Ralph, I don't get as excited about this sort of thing as I did when I was a teen, but had a good time reviewing the film I had seen 45 or so years earlier.  Walter Cronkite was the narrator. They had some pretty corny sales pitches, but they had a lot of interesting things in them too - especially big, new tractors that were always fast, powerful and never had any dirt on them. In those movies, the sun was always shining, the farmers had superclean hands and clothes, and there were no wet or even slightly weedy fields or fading paint on a barn. It was thus obvious that the film had not been made anywhere near our county ;-). Never did find out where Oz was, as the movies seemed to hide license plates, road signs or other such clues that would give away the filming location.

|_____/    \  ~ Chuck Bealke ~ bealke at airmail.net ~
( )       \__/             http://www.plowsong.com