[AT] Brake controller

Spencer Yost yostsw at atis.net
Sun Feb 13 08:36:52 PST 2005

On 2/12/2005 at 8:37 PM Cecil E Monson wrote:
>	I was reading sales literature on the Prodigy today and see that
>it can be set to apply trailer brakes to lead the tow vehicle brakes by a
>very slight amount. This would not be bad as it would take up any slack

This is indeed desirable in heavily loaded situations.    If you do want
your trailer to lead in braking in time delay controllers, crank the
sensitivity up high enough and you will get it.  Turn it down to match the
truck or lower to have the truck lead.  This works because the sensitivity
slider on my controller moves the minimal effort up and down with the
maximum effort.

Also, one myth about time delay:   It is not three seconds until you get
braking effort - it is three seconds till _maximum_ effort.  You will get
braking effort instantaneously, and theoretically much quicker than
inertial, though I doubt in practice the difference is noticeable.

Like I said, I have never tried inertial and I really want to, but the time
delay is so near perfect I can see much room for improvement.  As usual,
there is always a quality/value difference in products so you mileage may
vary.

PS:  To someone who mentioned/asked:   My controller is a Jordan.

Spencer Yost
Owner, ATIS
Plow the Net!
http://www.atis.net