[AT] Brake controller

Cecil E Monson cmonson at hvc.rr.com
Sat Feb 12 17:37:12 PST 2005

> I can adjust the Prodigy to brake the trailer harder than the car and thus
> it pulls the rear end downward.  When adjusting them, the goal is to NOT
> have this happen, but to have the trailer brake pretty much exactly in
> tandem with the vehicle.  It is very easy to get the Prodigy adjusted
> properly.
>
> I haven't noticed the trailer pulling the vehicle prior to or releasing
> after the vehicle's brakes.  I would think this is undesirable no matter the
> delay.  On slick pavements could this cause an out-of-control situation?
> The trailer brakes could lock up while the vehicle is not braking that much.
> Of course it all depends on how well they're adjusted.  Just thinking out
> loud.
>
> The guy who installed my Prodigy loved his time-delay model.  Just FYI.
> Diffr'nt strokes??
>
> Rick

	I was reading sales literature on the Prodigy today and see that
it can be set to apply trailer brakes to lead the tow vehicle brakes by a
very slight amount. This would not be bad as it would take up any slack
in that instant. I noticed that the Prodigy also has a digital readout
that tells you how much voltage you are applying to the trailer brakes. I
have often thought with my older Tekonshas that this would be a good thing
to know. For one thing, if it shows when you adjust the slider, it would
be easy to set for almost any load. I am sure most of us who tow heavy
loads occasionally usually set up the trailer brakes first thing. Mine that
set a while between useage usually require several settings before they
settle down and get the dampness out of the drums. If I were to buy another
controller now, it would be the Prodigy. One thing I didn't see in the
literature was whether the Prodigy still has the manual slider to apply
the trailer brakes only. I like this feature on the older ones as I prefer
to wear more on the trailer brakes going downhill than on the tow vehicle.

Cecil
what you said.

Cecil E Monson
Lucille Hand-Monson