[AJD] apologies and Spencer

greg at theoldtractorcompany.com greg at theoldtractorcompany.com
Sat Feb 12 14:40:59 PST 2005

Spencer's right on the mark. It is so prevalent that it is referred to in meetings as
the Walmartizing of America. No problem if a product is AS GOOD as the original and a
lower price but far more often than not the quality takes a dive along with the price.
Illegible manual reprints are an example as Spencer notes
I very well remember the shiver than ran down my spine when it was announced to us in a
JD dealer meeting by Deere- "Gentleman, we have studied the market and have come to the
conclusion that we are overbuilding our consumer products." Stop and think about that a
minute. That means that the level of quality would be downgraded to meet market
expectations.
I strongly believe that we have all lived through the true quality era already. Gone
are the bulletproof 210,212,216,400 series lawn tractors. The 2440 and 4440's are gone.
Anyone here think today's crop of tractors, from any manufacturer, will be around in 60
years?
But! If the market wants this level of quality then it is up to the manufacturers to
supply that need. It's everyone's fault I guess as we shop by price, not quality and
longevity.
At one time we had a very strong market in used lawn tractors. Good 200 and 300 series
lawn tractors sold very fast. No more. No one, around here at least, would apparently
be caught dead with a used lawn tractor. Off to the dealer or Home Depot for
a "bottomofthelinebutitmowsanditscheap" model. Cheap yes, but will it last? Nope. That
doesn't matter anymore.
I have come to the conclusion that we will now shift our emphasis from selling the used
lawn tractors, of which we normally have 40-70 at most times, to perhaps parting them
out to service the expanding lawn and garden collector market. Crazy? Probably but
that's never stopped us before.
Very interesting and turbulent times we are going through. Who would have ever thought
Kmart and Sears would merge? Wild.
Greg

Greg Stephen
The Old Tractor Company
Stephen Equipment Company
PO Box 709
Franktown, CO 80116
303-663-5246
303-468-0377 FAX<<--GREAT WAY TO REACH ME!

On Sat Feb 12 15:20 , 'Frank' <gremaux at tein.net> sent: