[AJD] My apologies to the List and Melanie

Spencer Yost yostsw at atis.net
Sat Feb 12 12:17:22 PST 2005

Being an experienced businessman in addition to software engineer, I have
to weigh in on this because there is a very important business axiom
relevant here:  Capitalism, AS IT IS PRACTICED TODAY IN AMERICA, does not
generate success in the BEST product (very common misconception), it will
generate success in the LEAST EXPENSIVE product because the vast majority
of buyers know price but they don't know value.   When a commodity is for
sale, price is OK, otherwise, price is only part of the story.  But very
few understand that and that is why there are WalMarts and Chinese tractor
parts and very bad manual reprints.  I am absolutely sure Greg will give an
Amen to this.  We all know this is true just from our roles of consumers
where we have all been guilty of shopping price instead of value.

In every business I have played a role in senior management in, we try to
sell what people should have, but then we have to make sure we have a bare
bones, poor quality, Chinese equivalent product or service for the people
that shop price.  Seriously reflect on this and you will see why no one
will prevail in this discussion.  It is the age old price versus value
discussion  My favorite business saying that I have had on my office walls
in the past:

Lots of cheap cheese in a mousetrap but very few happy mice.

PS:  I don't mean to pick on the Chinese.   Their quality is improving but
the stereotype still holds currency in todays society so I am using it.

Spencer Yost
Owner, ATIS
Plow the Net!
http://www.atis.net