[AT] Brake controller

Andy Glines andyglines at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 11 13:18:36 PST 2005

>   29. Re:  OT-Brake controller (Spencer Yost)
>Message: 29
>Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 13:43:56 -0500
>From: "Spencer Yost" <yostsw at atis.net>
>Subject: Re: [AT] OT-Brake controller
>To: at at lists.antique-tractor.com

>On 2/10/2005 at 10:28 AM Brad Gunnells wrote:
> >I was curious if anyone has used the different time delayed vs
> >proportional controllers and which they preferred and why. Also if
> >anyone has the Prodigy controller what they think of it.
> >
> >Thanks!!
> >
> >Brad
>
>My data point is lopsided, as I've never used anything but time delay.  I
>love them and they work perfect though.  Cheap too compared to other
>solutions.  Very good sensitivity controls on the two different controllers
>I have owned and manual override has been great when needed.
>
>Anyway, they are only about 60 bucks.   Not a terribly expensive gamble.
>If you don't it like it you can always go to the inertial and sell the time
>delay on Ebay for $30.
>
>Spencer Yost
>Owner, ATIS
>Plow the Net!
>http://www.atis.net
This is one of the few points on which Spencer and I disagree.  I have one
of the time delayed controllers and despise that thing.  That system doesn't
account for different levels of braking and it doesn't account for fast &
hard braking.  I don't want to wait on the controller to ramp up when I have
to hit the pedal hard.  I think that you will find driving with one of the
proportional types better.  I understand that the pendulum kind are pretty
good now.  I think the best one would be the one which uses a cable from the
bake pedal to activate the trailer brakes.  The cable type should work just
like the old hydraulic controllers like I use now.  My truck is old so the
hyd controller works fine.  I understand that tapping the brake line doesn't
work well with anti-lock brakes.