[AT] Pulling a sheepsfoot with a Ford 8n

Warren F. Smith WarrenSmith at PalmettoBuilders.net
Fri Feb 11 13:03:16 PST 2005

>>Warren,
>>I have two such ponds on my  place, one is spring fed and the
>>other is on a
>>somewhat creek.  The creek  pond was made by damming it up it
>>was washed out at
>>one end when I bought the  place so I rebuilt it with local
>>mud and put in an
>>over flow made of concrete  blocks and cement with two large
>>culverts to
>>carry away the excess during the  winter. So far so good but
>>you do have to keep
>>an eye on it.
>>The main thing  is to not let the dam over flow on itself as
>>that will wash
>>it away real fast. I  just used my tractor to pack it in and
>>then put rocks on
>>top.
>>
>>A  good dam is made up of soft mud in the middle then gravel
>>then rocks on
>>top  sound funny but that is the way they make even the
>>biggest earthen  dams.

Walt, I agree with most of your post but respectfully disagree with the last
statement. Soft mud is useless for any type of construction and I have a
hard time believing it would ever be used in a dam of any size. I'll read up
on it but it makes no sense to me.

Then again I ain't no dam expert, either.