[AT] Pulling a sheepsfoot with a Ford 8n

carl gogol cgogol at twcny.rr.com
Thu Feb 10 12:53:00 PST 2005

I would suggest that the biggest problem you might find with pulling a
sheep's foot with a rubber tired tractor is traction and rutting if the soil
is at all moist.  I can remember the first four feet of dam constructed on
our farm back in 1967 was quite moist and a large sheep's foot was easily
pulled by a TD-18B.  The problem started when a front idler went and there
was no time to fix it.  We had two TD-15s working to bring the material to
the top of the dam.  The dam was already up at least 3 feet and a 4 WD
loader was quickly rented to replace the dozer.  The top of the dam soon got
very rutted as the loader didn't have the guts to grade as it pulled the
roller.  I can't picture the roller a 9n could handle, but it would have to
be tiny compared to what is normally used to get specified compaction.
Carl Gogol
Manlius, NY
(2) AC D-14, AC 914H
Simplicity 3112 & 7116