[AJD] working on D - ouch

Spencer Yost yostsw at atis.net
Tue Feb 8 16:38:20 PST 2005

On 2/8/2005 at 9:59 AM Steve Treimer wrote:
>D prices, what would you do?
>
>Head: $520 to clean, check, repair a crack, resurface, new seats, grind
>valves, reassemble (assumes good valves, springs)
>Block: $350 to clean, check, bore, hone, fit pistons new 0.125"
>pistons.

I think you need a new machine shop.   I spent a little less money doing
all machining for a 4 cylinder diesel engine I rebuilt.  These services
included everything you mention below, for a bigger engine and twice the
number of cylinders, plus a whole lot of services you don't mention.  You
haven't mentioned the crankshaft, flywheel or cam yet!  Balancing is
expense and misc machining (usually something needs to be built up and
turned down, ring grooves need to be turned, etc).

Seriously, the quote is too high.  I scanned my receipt and can be found
at:

http://www.antique-tractor.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=SpencerY
ost

Spencer Yost
Owner, ATIS
Plow the Net!
http://www.atis.net

PS:  By the way, the machine shop that does all my engines is the shop I
have some pictures of in my first book.  This machine shop, Golden Shamrock
of Winston-Salem NC, occasionally does work for both for Busch series and
NASCAR teams and isn;t a Mom-n-Pop operation.  In fact, they they recently
did a Toyota prototype engine.   It is very intersting to walk in and see a
Toyota racing protoype engine, next to my 20 year old Isuzu Diesel, that
was next to someone's John Deere M block (-;