[AT] Snoow load

Ralph Goff alfg at sasktel.net
Mon Feb 7 18:59:52 PST 2005

----- Original Message -----
From: <robinson at svs.net>
To: <100AcreFarming at yahoogroups.com>; <at at lists.antique-tractor.com>;
<FrugalRuralLiving at yahoogroups.com>; <cheap-shelters at yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Monday, February 07, 2005 9:27 AM
Subject: [AT] Snoow load

> It seems like we have been getting a lot more high winds over the last
> few years. Again very cheap insurance.

Its usually the high winds that keep our roofs clear of snow here on the
prairies but this December I had the biggest buildup of snow on the south
side of the steel quonset roof that I have ever seen. Happened right at the
end of December during a strong Northeaster and I soon noticed problems
opening the big sliding door. My guess was that the weight of the snow on
the roof was causing the whole building to flex and bulge the end wall out
just a fraction of an inch, enough to make the door drag against the end
wall.
So I spent about an hour one sunny morning shovelling snow off the steel
roof. Hoping that it won't be necessary again. I'm starting to look at ideas
for building a long handled snow scraper that could be used at ground level
to reach up on the roof and remove snow.
Maybe if I build it I will never need to use it??

Ralph in Sask.
http://lgoff.sasktelwebsite.net/