[AT] Snoow load

carl gogol cgogol at twcny.rr.com
Mon Feb 7 15:33:05 PST 2005

Farmer-
I'm just curious - can you tell how the trusses failed?  Did just a few of
them collapse in the middle or did whole roofs flop or buckle.  I have been
noodling around trying to understand the major ways that truss roofs fail
and from what I see here, most of ours built 20 years ago are not adequately
braced to stop several trusses from flopping over in the middle of longer
barns.   It is not unusual to see only a 2x4 from the peak of each end
nailed to the center lateral brace that runs the length of the barn on top
of the lower cord.  If you look at the truss specifications today, they
require some sort of bracing every 40 feet or so - this was typically not
done until recently.  Also, without a ridged ceiling, most trusses should
have lateral bracing every 4' along the lower cord and similarly any member
of the truss that can come into compression that is longer than 4'-6".
Carl Gogol
Manlius, NY
(2) AC D-14, AC 914H
Simplicity 3112 & 7116