[Farmall] Tractor in "Racing Stripes"

Larry L Hardesty hardestyll at unk.edu
Mon Feb 7 16:12:16 PST 2005

Steve,  Well, our wives must have some confidence in us (missplaced as it
might be) since my wife also leaned over in the movie and  asked "Is it a
Farmall?" (well, not all red tractors are Farmalls).  I don't think it is
a Massey-Harris.  My tractor books are still packed away from my recent
move so I cannot consult them.  I think it is some type of orphaned
tractor from the early 1950s or late 1940s...Farmcrest comes to mind, but
I did a Google search and found a picture of the Farmcrest, which I think
is essentially a Cockshutt sold by Gambles.  The tractor is not a
Farmcrest.  It looks a little like a Farmaster but it is not.  It sure
looks familiar.  I am pretty sure it is one of those tractors made soon
after WWII from generally off the shelf components (truck transmissions,
etc.).  Not a bad looking tractor, and probably a story on how it got to
South Africa

Perhaps someone else will come up with the answer soon.

Thanks

Larry

"soffiler at myeastern.com" <soffiler at myeastern.com>
Sent by: farmall-bounces at lists.antique-tractor.com
02/07/2005 11:52 AM
Please respond to
Farmall/IHC mailing list <farmall at lists.antique-tractor.com>

cc

Subject
Re: [Farmall] Tractor in "Racing Stripes"

Larry:

I've been wondering the same thing.  It kind of reminded me
of a Massey-Harris Mustang, or is that a M-H Model 44, or
are they the same thing...  or maybe it was something else
entirely.  Not at all sure.  My wife leaned over and asked
me what it was during the movie, but I had some trouble
picking up identifying cues.  The sheetmetal side panels
partially covering the engine seemed like they should be a
dead giveaway.

Steve O.

From: Larry L Hardesty <hardestyll at unk.edu>