[AJD] Re: Physics 101

Gary Amy fgaryamy at sbcglobal.net
Mon Feb 7 06:51:48 PST 2005

OK, the subject should be changed to Chemistry 101. The most critical part of the system during cold weather has to do with chemistry. The most affected chemical reactions during cold weather is in the battery.  Changing chemical energy to electrical just can't happen as fast when the battery is cold. So, Eric is right... Make sure the battery is able to turn the engine over fast enought to start. If the battery can't turn it over as fast as in the summer (and it can't... maybe close, but not quite.. it's the chemistry thing), then perfect fuel/air ratio and spark sure help out.  This is the reason for good points, carburetor, choke, etc. The other chemical reaction is the rapid oxidation of the fuel (othewise know as combustion...firing of the cylinders). This one, however is not as adversely affected by the cold. But getting the right oxygen-fuel ratio when cold is difficult, especially with cabureted engines. Without the right ratio, combustion isn't complete enough to ru!
 n the
 engine. Hence the cold start system (choke on carbureted engines) must be working well.

Just my 2c.  By the way, if you're wondering how I know this, I'm a Physicist, but Chemistry is kind of a hobby....I was raised on a Rice Farm in south Louisiana, and now own a whopping 16 acre blackberry patch, truck crop and crawfish farm (only one around here) in North Texas.  I also have a full time job as a computer engineer. When I retire, hopefully, the farm will let me live reasonably comfortably. My heart has always been on the farm, but I haven't actually farmed for 51 years. I just bought the farm and currently have it leased out. So I need all the help I can get!

"E. Thatcher" <ethatche at hotmail.com> wrote:
We used our 47 B as our winter time chore tractor for almost twenty years. I don't think it ever failed to start here in west central Illinois. In those days we drained the radiator in the late fall and replaced the water with wood alcohol for the winter. We always turned off the fuel at the sediment bowl and allowed the engine to burn all of the remaining fuel out of the carburetor when shutting down. We also opened the carburetor drain after shut of to remove any remaining fuel. Beyond that you must have battery, points, plugs and wiring in good shape. Wiring is especially critical on the 6 volt B. Opt for the highest amp battery that will fit in the box and make sure ground strap and primary wire going to the starter are the proper heavy gauge and in good condition. We used 10 weight oil in winter back then, off course there are better choices available now. Probably the 0-40 Mobile one mentioned by Eric isn't a bad idea if winter work is critical. Fresh gas is also impor!
 tant. We
 used our B every day so it was refueled fairly often although the main farm fuel tank was only filled once during the winter. Of course back in the 50's and 60's we were using good quality leaded regular gas which in my opinion didn't go bad as quickly as the stuff we pump now. On really cold days we also opened the petcocks on the cylinders to relieve compression and allow the engine to crank more easily. We also opened them up before shut down.

Just some recollections for what its worth. Maybe it'll help.

Eric Thatcher

Carrollton, IL

52 JD A