[AT] Got stomped then got a bargain...

robinson at svs.net robinson at svs.net
Sun Feb 6 14:48:17 PST 2005

	I had a small trailer load of hay bales (40) sitting in one barn and decided to take it
to the sale barn just to get it out of the way. It is nothing special, just some old
pasture grass I baled. I have been selling it along at $2 a bale and the folks that have
been buying it acted happy to get it. One fellow commented that he knew a lot of people
that were running out of hay. I really debated about taking this load to the auction but
the time of year was right and we wanted an excuse to get out for the day. I have gotten
close to $3 a bale for the same stuff there before and 40 bales was not going to make me
or break me anyway. We usually stop and eat out somewhere (cheap, Ponderosa's Grand
Buffet at lunch is only $4.99 with senior discount) on such little trips. In better
weather there are usually a lot of yard sale stops on the way home.
	Good grief...!!! I have never seen that much hay at that auction... The lot was more
than full and there were a number of loads double parked on the streets to be sold by the
time the hay part of the auction (livestock auction) started. We were down toward the end
and while we waited I walked up the hill to watch some of the other stuff sell. The first
several loads were really nice looking stuff and I guessed about $3 a bale. Yikes!!! The
first several loads only brought around $1.25 a bale. I turned around and smiled at Diana
and said "we are in deeeeep doo-doo"... (well that is pretty close)   :-)   Sure enough,
by the time they got through all of those thousands of bales and down to us our little
dab sold for .75 cents a bale.
	On the up side, they did have a few cattle panels and gates in a small batch over in one
corner of the lot and I did do quite well there. I bought five 4'x8' panels of high
security wire mesh on frames. There was also a 6th panel about 6'x7' that was a rolling
door of the same stuff. This is the stuff like "tool cribbing" that is made with hardened
steel wire/rods (extremely stiff) that is crimped and woven in such a way that you cannot
slide the wires to force even a small opening and it is  resistant to sawing. It is made
up with smallish channel iron frames. I bought the lot for $65. I think a couple of guys
saw it as pen fencing, one guy was thinking it would make corn crib walls and a few saw
it as animal cages. I saw it as becoming the horse stall aisle doors in the inside of the
stable... A 3/4" plywood door with some wood framing cost me about $45 and I still have
to build it. I have less than $11 apiece in these and they will require very little labor
to install them. They will look very nice and will allow very good ventilation through
the stable when the outside doors are open in the summer. If I feel the need or desire I
can easily cut 1/2" plywood to fit on the horse side of the mesh on the bottom half of
the door especially in winter.
	It was certainly worth the bath I took on the little load of hay.

--
"farmer", Esquire
At Hewick Midwest

Paternal Robinson's here by way of Norway (Clan Gunn), Scottish Highlands,
Cleasby Yorkshire England, Virginia, Kentucky then Indiana.

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana USA
robinson at svs.net