[AT] Chain grades

robinson at svs.net robinson at svs.net
Sat Feb 5 12:42:44 PST 2005

	When I chain a load down it generally has lot more chains on it than DOT would ever
require. I have a lot of chains and an extra chain or two is extremely cheap insurance. I
pay little attention to chain grade for tying down a load. Here the DOT is a branch of
the Indiana State Police and they only press details on commercial hauling. Now if they
see an obviously unsafe load (or driving) as police officers they have a duty to make a
stop. Otherwise they ignore private haulers. When one passes me I want him to say in his
mind "that load is tied down well". I do use the strongest chains to tie the load back
from moving forward in a panic stop or collision. While I am allowed 8' 6" of width
without flagging, if something sticks past the edge of the trailer it gets a flag.
	I see guys lock a boom and walk away but I "ALWAYS" wire a boom shut or use a tarp strap
on it. I use a number of tarp straps to keep the loose ends of chains under control.
Often I wrap a loose end around a boom several times then tarp strap it down.
	When I sold my wrecker years ago I kept the two main chains I carried. They are grade 70
with extremely tough "J" hooks on one end and a grab hook and a "T" hook on the other.
Very handy... I want to pick up some more "J" hooks but I don't want to buy any of those
soft short cheap ones.
	Chains are one of those wandering items. I have a section of wall on the back of the
shop where I hang most of them but I do keep a tow chain in the trucks and several of the
tractors. First thing you know one tractor has 4 chains in the tool box and the rest have
none. Or I will look at the wall and see missing chains and find 5 or 6 in one of the
trucks... I try to keep heavy clevissss... clevis' ? Clevi ???   :-)    on hand to chain
from the tractor drawbars etc.

--
"farmer", Esquire
At Hewick Midwest

Paternal Robinson's here by way of Norway (Clan Gunn), Scottish Highlands,
Cleasby Yorkshire England, Virginia, Kentucky then Indiana.

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana USA
robinson at svs.net