[AT] Chain grades

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Sat Feb 5 04:32:52 PST 2005

My understanding of the intent of the rule is that the chains must be
able to secure the load to the truck/trailer so that in the event of an
upset, the load will not separate from the vehicle (and cause harm to
uninvolved things/people). In general, I have seen a lot more attention
paid by various DOTs to commercial haulers than to hobby and farmer
equipment. My employer's trucks only got stopped twice in 50 years of
hauling, and those were both for overweight on old small bridges, never
for unsecured loads (and all he ever used on any size load was the winch
plus one chain in back!) I guess it is fair to point out that none of
his haulers was ever involved in an accident, so I don't know if he
would have been cited as the result of an investigation.

Mike

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

The moral test of government is how that government treats those who are
in the dawn of life, the children; those who are in the twilight of
life, the elderly; and those who are in the shadows of life - the sick,
the needy and the handicapped. -Hubert Horatio Humphrey, US Vice
President (1911-1978)