[AT] Tiller racing?

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Fri Feb 4 15:08:00 PST 2005

Your post reminded me of what I saw a few years ago on the Rhine river,
David.  Much of the mountainous river bank is planted in grapes, but the
terrain is at about a 40 degree angle.  That makes it a bit difficult to
cultivate.  As we were steaming up river (literally on a steam-powered
side-wheeler) I saw a vineyard farmer drive along a terraced roadway
part way up the mountain in a humongous John Deere with a winch mounted
on the "river side" of the tractor.  He stopped with the winch
positioned at the pathway between the rows of grapevines and proceeded
to unwind the cable and drop a big front-tined tiller over the side of
the mountain.  It was being guided as it dropped by a second farmer.
When the tiller and farmer got to the bottom of the mountain, he started
the engine on the tiller, climbed on the handlebars, and rode back up to
the John Deere as the tiller was reeled in by the winch.

The wine section of southern Germany also has a number of vineyard
tractors.  They look like an ordinary wide-front tractor except that the
maximum width is about 30 inches.  The driver's seat has to be located
farther forward than normal so you have hip room between the rear
wheels.

Larry