[AT] Acrylic enamel paint hardner????

charlie hill chill8 at cox.net
Fri Feb 4 10:44:36 PST 2005

Louis,  you are getting to the heart of my question.   From reading some
post on this subject here on the list it would appear that you could just
add any old hardner to any old paint and it would work.
That is basically my question.

As for the differences in industrial and automotive paint, they are not as
big as you might believe.  For example, and unless something has changed in
the last few years, all of the polyurethane in the US is made by one company
in one plant in Texas.  ( I forget the name of the company right now.  Rohm
and Hass I think.)  The difference in Dupont Imron and other urethanes is
the way that the colorants and additives are formulated.  The base of the
paint, the polyurethane, is the  same.  Dupont has a patent on the stuff
they add to make it thick or thin and the way they put color in.

A few years ago we painted some flight line equipment for the US Air Force
(compressors, light carts, gensets, etc).  We used off the shelf  ICI Devoe
Industrial Polyurethane.  We strained it and sprayed it with a quart cup
sprayer like a body shop would have used.  Except for some occasional orange
peel (which we have established as a common problem with polyurethane) the
stuff came out as slick and shiny as most new cars.   It was so glossy that
every little thing showed on the finish.  Water spots, bugs that got on
there in transport from out shop, etc.  stuck out like a sore thumb.  I
fixed the problem by stopping at an auto supply and getting a bottle of that
stuff that you spray on and wipe off to gloss cars out and get rid of water
spots.   I would stop about a mile from the base and wipe them down before I
took them to be accepted.

Any  way the main thing I wanted to clearify is if you can add any hardner
to any enamel/alkyd/oil based paint.  That is what some of the messages
seemed to imply.

Thanks

Charlie