[AT] Acrylic enamel paint hardner????

Louis Spiegelberg louis at kellnet.com
Fri Feb 4 09:37:39 PST 2005

Charlie,

There is quite a difference between automotive and industrial paint.  They
are formulated for different applications.  Hardener has been around for
years for automotive paint.  If you go to a NAPA that sells paint, they
should be able to get you hardener for paint.  There is a difference between
hardener for synthetic (alkyd) and acrylic enamels.  I ran short of hardener
one day for synthetic, so I figured that I could use hardener for acrylic.
The normal pot life is 4 hours.  I sprayed my first coat of paint.  I came
back a few minutes later to shoot my second coat.  The paint had all gelled
in my gun by that time. What a mess to clean up.

Hardener adds durability, gloss, and color hold out to the paint.  It also
helps it cure quicker.

Lou