[AT] Chain grades

Bob W RGW13 at bellsouth.net
Fri Feb 4 04:17:07 PST 2005

Thanks for all the responses. I will at this point assume the chain is grade
30.  Is it legal to use grade 30 to tie down a tractor for hauling, this
would not be commercial use but just private? Would 4 chains (grade 30) be
sufficient for and 8N & box blade (3200-3500 Lbs)?

Bob W [FL]
1950 8N

<Subject: RE: [AT] Chain grades
<
<
<Bob:
<
<My understanding is that a chain has to be visibly marked Grade 70 in order
<for it to qualify for a grade 70 Working Load Limit when using it for load
<tie downs. The following web site has some good info on chain
<specifications:
<
<http://www.cmindustrial.com/products/chainproducts.asp?category=15
<
<I believe chains are required to be marked grade 70 when used as tie downs
<for any commercial hauling. Here in WA, for private hauling, if the chains
<are not marked grade 70, the WA DOT will downgrade the chains WILL to the
<lowest rating for that size chain to determine if you have adequate
<restraint on the load.
<
<Grade 80 and 90 chain is specified for use in vertical lift applications.
<
<Dean A. Van Peursem
<Snohomish, WA 98290
<
<I'm a walking storeroom of facts..... I've just lost the key to the
<storeroom door
<
<
<www.deerelegacy.com