[AT] My cover is blown

Dudley Rupert drupert at premier1.net
Thu Feb 3 20:59:30 PST 2005

Dean,

Boy, when you say you're from NW Iowa you do mean the NW corner.

I didn't have Robert's on "my list" of places that I wanted to stop by and
check out so, as a matter of fact, it wasn't until a couple of days after I
had been in Spencer that I remembered Robert's being there.  I wish I would
have remembered it when I was passing though and at least driven by their
place and checked them out.

I do remember, incidentally, being impressed with Spencer and thinking that
say forty or fifty years ago it must have been a real dynamic little city.
Now, in the winter you're referring to - with the temperature not getting
above zero for nearly a month - I imagine it was closer to a city being in
hibernation than it was a city in motion.

I didn't get to the salvage yard in Worthington SD but did get to a couple
in Eastern SD.

Speaking of Iowa one thing that stood out to me while driving up and down
across the Western side was the number of silos still standing and appearing
to still be in good/excellent shape.  Most of them appeared to be made of
block/brick with a decorative row around the top and most still had a
good-looking dome on top.  Very often the barn(s), however, would be gone or
in disrepair.  I recall many of the silos around where I grew up in Southern
Illinois being made with vertical wood boards and they seem to have fared no
better than the barns around them.

Dudley Rupert
Snohomish, Washington