[AT] Oiling Oak Planks (was Sawmills)

CBear81438 at aol.com CBear81438 at aol.com
Thu Feb 3 17:16:04 PST 2005

I replaced the floor in 2 stock trailers this year.  We used rough cut  oak,
and I painted with 2 coats of aluminum paint from Wal Mart.  I put it  on with
a roller, and made sure I got the ends painted.

If you look at what the Bureau of reclamation has done in their test labs,
they say that wood must be about 16% moisture to rot.  The fungus that rots  it
is succeptible to a metal based fungicide.  Copper is what they used in  the
CCA (Copper Chrome Arsenate) treated lumber that is not made now due to the
Eternal Prevention Agency.  Aluminum will work as a fingicide in treatment  of
wounds in cattle.  So...........  I translated it to work on wood  rot.  We
used it on the first stock.trailer floor I had about 1971, and it  lasted until
2000 when I found out the steel frame had rotted out  underneath...   ever try
to put a new lower frame on a trailer??   It is a great learning experience.
Also will teach you to use a Plasma  cutter not a torch.....

I would try aluminum paint..

Cecil in OKla