[AT] Chain grades

Bigdog dbigdog at columbus.rr.com
Thu Feb 3 16:36:02 PST 2005

Should be stamped at least every foot.

Bigdog
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Bob W
  To: Antique tractor email discussion group
  Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2005 7:01 PM
  Subject: [AT] Chain grades

  I just got some chain from a friend that did not want it (50 feet for free).
  It had been given to him. My question is how can I tell what grade it is?
  There are no markings on it, it is shiny almost to shiny to be galvanized.
  He seemed to think it was grade 80, but I think that is what he was told. It
  would be great if it was grade 70 or 80 then I could use it to tie down my
  8N to the trailer (tractor reference). It is 5/16" chain. I was under the
  impression the grades 70 and 80 were stamped.

  Thanks
  Bob W [FL]
  1950 8N