[AT] Oiling Oak Planks (was Sawmills)

Cecil E Monson cmonson at hvc.rr.com
Thu Feb 3 11:59:52 PST 2005

> I thought you post was interesting.  I recently put a new white oak 2" thick deck on my tractor hauling trailer.  I was considering using Thompsons water seal on it, would I be better off using used oil instead?
>
> What have others done?
>
> Enjoy, Joe

	I was told not to use anything on the planks on
a trailer, Joe. Apparently they will rot if they cannot
dry out completely - at least that is the reason given to
me. I just bought a 20 foot beavertail and the owner had
painted the planks to make it look better. It only took
two years to rot them out. I had white oak planks on my
old beavertail and they were OK for 15 years untreated
until I used it as a place to store some used lumber and
the moisture got to it.

Cecil
what you said.

Cecil E Monson