[AJD] Re: Physics 101

E. Thatcher ethatche at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 3 09:54:00 PST 2005

We used our 47 B as our winter time chore tractor for almost twenty years. I don't think it ever failed to start here in west central Illinois. In those days we drained the radiator in the late fall and replaced the water with wood alcohol for the winter. We always turned off the fuel at the sediment bowl and allowed the engine to burn all of the remaining fuel out of the carburetor when shutting down. We also opened the carburetor drain after shut of to remove any remaining fuel. Beyond that you must have battery, points, plugs and wiring in good shape. Wiring is especially critical on the 6 volt B. Opt for the highest amp battery that will fit in the box and make sure ground strap and primary wire going to the starter are the proper heavy gauge and in good condition. We used 10 weight oil in winter back then, off course there are better choices available now. Probably the 0-40 Mobile one mentioned by Eric isn't a bad idea if winter work is critical. Fresh gas is also important. We used our B every day so it was refueled fairly often although the main farm fuel tank was only filled once during the winter. Of course back in the 50's and 60's we were using good quality leaded regular gas which in my opinion didn't go bad as quickly as the stuff we pump now. On really cold days we also opened the petcocks on the cylinders to relieve compression and allow the engine to crank more easily. We also opened them up before shut down.

Just some recollections for what its worth. Maybe it'll help.

Eric Thatcher

Carrollton, IL

52 JD A