[AJD] Thread repair trick

Chris C jdnutinwa at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 3 09:31:37 PST 2005

   One of the many heads I have bought recently for my
A's has a little problem.  One of the stud holes for
the manifold was 'wallowed' out and had been drilled
deeper so that the threads near the top of the hole,
say the first 1/2 inch were bad,  but deeper into the
casting were ok.

    The problem is the studs I had purchased were not
long enough to be threaded all the way in and still
have threads showing on top of the manifold.  A
heli-coil woould not work since I didn't want to get
all the way to the bottom of the hold with it.  Then I
remembered the threaded inserts we used to use to
repair tooth pockets on the cutter wheels of out
Vermeer Stump Grinders..   So,  I went to Tacoma Screw
and bought a 5/8 - 11 (external) x 7/16 - 14
(internal) threaded insert.  I then drilled out the
bad hole to 17/32 and tapped it to 5/8 -11.  I had to
grind about the top 1/16 off of the insert as I didn't
dare drill any deeper (the inserts are about 3/4"
tall) butt all in all in cleaned up my loose thread
problem very nicely,  and cost me about $2 for the
insert.

      I just thought I would pass that on.

                   Chris