[AJD] Physics 101

Richard Strobel Richard_Strobel7 at msn.com
Tue Feb 1 18:42:18 PST 2005

Hi Nick, I've been in Montana for almost 30 years and have learned a lot.

In the fall an oil/filter change is good.  Don't usually do plugs unless
they're due.  Check the coolant antifreeze.

"Heat" gas antifreeze (methanol I think) is added to the tank and once a
month doesn't hurt.

Now days almost everyone uses frost plug heaters.  ~600 watt, they draw less
power than the old tank heater,  <100 rockets for the pro's to install and
personally it's money well spent.  (Keep an eye out for leaks).  You can
hear a soft plug heater seconds after it's plugged in if ya listen real
hard.

I usually get around 4 years on a battery.  Some like previously mentioned
plug a trickle charger in at night.  They even make battery warmers that go
under the battery.  Some wire the frost plug heater, trickle charger, and
battery warmer all together so you only have one plug sticking out the
grill.  Some plug it into their porch light and when they get up in the
morning, they turn on the porch light...I personally like that.  Sanitize
those battery connections.

When it's 5 below or colder, the BOSS goes out and starts/warms up her car
every 4 hours...at work.

Windshielf de-icer is used in the washer tank, NOT the summer stuff as it
freezes.

I guess all in all is a fresh engine/tuneup/PM/ and follow the owners
manual.

We also carry survival equipment...AAA has those guidelines I believe.  Warm
clothes,cell phone, candle, matches are a must.  I could go on and on with
that subject.

  Give the windshields a good scrape, clean off the head lights, turn
signals and especially the tail/brake lights.  Brush/sweep the loose snow
off the car..you can go IFR really quick!!

  And probably the most important is to give the guy in front of you PLENTY
of room, and SLOW DOWN.

I know there's more and as they come to me I'll repost.

Hope this helps and good luck
RickinMt.