[AT] Sawmills

robinson at svs.net robinson at svs.net
Tue Feb 1 14:29:16 PST 2005

	This is on topic because my first mill was a homemade circle mill that I picked up cheap
and I powered it with the PTO on my Farmall S-MTA. It had been built using an old heavy
hammer mill as a base and an arbor. I still have the first 2" x 4" that I sawed with it
out of a log from my woods. Not a pretty sight...   ;-)   I sold that mill for a little
more than I paid for it.
	Then I bought a Kasco band mill new. It would cut a 30" log that was 24'+ long. By
fudging a little it would cut about 24' 6". I liked it because you worked with the log at
just above ground level instead of up in the air. I could roll most logs up a small ramp
(only about 6" high) and onto the bed. It ran with a gas engine and used electric drives
to raise and lower and for the feed through the log. I don't really regret selling it
because it sold for reasonably close to what I paid for it new, and I just didn't have
the time to keep up with everything. I must have used it about 8 years. I have often
wished for a smaller mill to cut a few boards but I am probably better off paying someone
else to cut some stuff for me. I have an Amish acquaintance that has a large commercial
sawmill operation not far from here that I have done some business with. Most of the
other old sawmill operations are gone from here.

--
"farmer", Esquire
At Hewick Midwest

Paternal Robinson's here by way of Norway (Clan Gunn), Scottish Highlands,
Cleasby Yorkshire England, Virginia, Kentucky then Indiana.

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana USA
robinson at svs.net