[Farmall] Wanted: F-12 or F-14

olmstead at ridgenet.net olmstead at ridgenet.net
Sat Dec 31 10:00:55 PST 2005

Ken, what you need is a parts tractor!  You now have the perfect
justification for one.

Stuck engine is no big deal.  What you need to look out for is cracks in
the water jacket on left (governor) side; most F-12 engines are broken
there, and sometimes the cracks run inside the block also.

Single front wheel is no big deal, except that a replacement tire is over
$100.  Rear tires, if 40" diameter, are something like $500 apiece.  36s
are much cheaper.

Most F-12s either didn't have fenders, or lost them 65 years ago.  Most
used manifolds are cracked, so look them over carefully.  Carbs are
readily available off parts tractors or on ebay.  Magnetos are sold on
ebay every day.

Most of the engine parts you'll need can be purchased today from NAPA or
any tractor parts place... Farmall A pistons, sleeves, rings and bearings
will fit, as long as they are NOT honest-to-goodness IHC parts.

Since 90% of all F-12s now have stuck engines, I don't consider that to be
much of a handicap.  You can press or beat the cylinders out, then split
them to uncover the pistons, so that you can get rods out.  Have rod wrist
pins re-bushed to fit the pins that come with your new pistons, or you'll
have a very noisy engine.  Make sure you have crankshaft measured before
you buy bearings!  And if the main or rod journals are significantly out
of round, have the crank ground.

Keep in mind where you want to drive the tractor before you decide to
restore it to steel wheels; you can't drive it around a paved neighborhood
or at many tractor shows if it has cleats.

Good luck, and keep us informed!

-Karl