[AT] Northern Tool Sale - Left Hand drills

Bill Bear Hood mmman at netscape.com
Thu Dec 29 20:23:37 PST 2005

Carl
I learned to use left hand bits from my old high school machine shop instructor in a Bridgeport--about 45 years ago or so.  When reversable drill motors became more available, it became easier.  I have a set that is 35 years old and I picked up a new set at Portland a couple of years ago for under $20 as I remember (the guy is set up about row D-E each year with bits and machine tool accessories both new and used.  I bought a couple chucks from him.

If you think you might have to drill out a bolt anyway, just use the left handers.  I usually heat the area around the bolt a couple of times and let cool.  Then drill with left hand and sometimes it really does come out.  Worked in a T0 30 last week with 2 manifold studs that had been broken long enough to allow the manifold to burn out around them from leakage.

A great drill press is one of the Tiwan/china mill drills that are not much as mills, but make a decent drill press and reverse.  You can sometimes find one cheap where someone bought them thinking that since they were advertised as mills, they really might hog some cast iron or steel--=ha ha.
Bear
And Farmer, is your story of Scott's success with easeout another one of those urban internet myths--will it stand up around the campfire at Portland.  Was sitting at the table in the City Cafe in Sonora Tex one day with bunch of Texas oilfield hands and a pusher for Sun Oil sat down and interrupted the conversation thusly  "Guys, I got to tell you this story and it an't no oil field story--it's the real s**t".  It really was another oil field story.