[AT] Northern Tool Sale - Left Hand drills

carl gogol cgogol at twcny.rr.com
Thu Dec 29 15:48:22 PST 2005

I am surprised that more list members have not extracted broken bolts with
left twist drills.  I have successfully removed two broken off manifold
bolts, one on each of my D-14s.  These are the two bolts that the vertical
muffler brace attach to.  There is only one reason for these to break off,
they have rusted over time and adhered to the manifold.  Actually, the first
one was first heated with an oxy-acetylene torch.  It backed out with the
left twist drill almost too easy.  Being fortified with success, I decided
to try the other without heat.  Although I had to drill a second pass with a
larger size, it too came without a lot of persuasion.  I only wish that I
had a drill press that would reverse so as to drill a bit more securely for
some other situations.  Maybe I'll get an old Bridgeport mill someday.
YMMV.
Carl Gogol
Manlius, NY
AC 170D