[AT] OT: Harbor Freight advertising funny

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Wed Dec 28 08:06:00 PST 2005

What you say is completely true. Here is the situation: The Chinese
manufacturers are capable of making products that are just as good as US
made products, but that is not what the use importers are looking for.
The US importers are looking for CHEAP products so they can compete with
US made products, and they get what they pay for.

The reality is that many of the Chinese engineers received their
training at MIT and Stanford or other top schools - these aren't guys
working in backyard operations and no education. When they start making
cars for the US market, I have no doubt that they will be just as good,
if not better than the cars coming out of South Korea or Japan. When I
sold tractors for a living, we saw some of the Chinese compact tractors,
and they weren't all that bad - maybe not as nicely finished as the
Kubotas or Japanese John Deeres, but pretty close.

Mike

Indiana Robinson wrote:
> 	You know, while a lot of guys have been spending a lot of
> time bad mouthing those Chinese tools (not just on this
> list) something amazing has been quietly happening... Many
> of those tools have been getting better and better. It is a
> little like what happened to Japanese stuff which was all
> crap when I was growing up but now they make some of the
> best. Then it was Korea and Taiwan then  China. As time
> past they all got to exporting better and better stuff. I
> have been seeing some really nice tools that said made in
> China this year... Quality stuff with good steel and nicely
> finished. But in the case of China it has happened rapidly,
> not after 3 or 4 decades.
> 	Yeah, they still send out some crap, so do we... But walk
> into a TSC and take an honest look at some of that stuff
> that says made in China. Their knock-off Vice-grips as just
> one example. They used to be thin, soft, crude and
> obviously junk. Now you have to look close to tell that
> they are not regular Vice-grips.
>

> --
> "farmer"
>
> Francis Robinson
> Central Indiana, USA
> robinson at svs.net
>
> 	I have created a local Shopsmith users list for my area.
> It is described as follows:
> This is to be a list for Shopsmith owners and want to be
> owners in the general area of Indiana. If you are across
> the line in OH or IL that is fine too. I don't want to draw
> a hard line but I hope for all members to be within a
> reasonable driving distance of each other. This list is for
> sharing woodworking tips and stories and Shopsmith tips and
> stories but also is to be used for the buying, selling and
> swapping of Shopsmith tools, accessories and parts between
> members of this list.

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Website: <www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of
those who have much, it is whether we provide enough for those who have
too little. -Franklin D. Roosevelt, 32nd US President (1882-1945)