[AT] OT: Was LED - Now Xenon - Flashlights

Chuck Bealke bealke at airmail.net
Fri Dec 23 23:41:49 PST 2005

Folks,

I recently began using a flashlight at night quite a bit
and went through the LED flashlight craze. Bought and
used a few, but they were not really as bright as I wanted.
Then a friend talked me into a Brinkman Maxfire LX flashlight
with a xenon bulb.  It is easily small enough to
fit in your pocket but brighter than any of  the LEDs I
stumbled across.  Got it at a sidewalk sale for
$10 with batteries but read that you can get the same
animal at Target for $17.  I don't typically leave a flashlight
on long - usually just a brief sweep around where I'm
walking or checking up in a tree when the dog with me
is fussing about a coon, cat or possum.  So some battery drain is OK for me. The light is just about as luminating as the bigger old timer I have with a square 6-volt battery. Found a photo of the little light online at
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/brinkmann_maxfirelx.htm
The reviewer there is not as fond of my light as I am.  Too bad - I gave three as Christmas gifts already and would do it again.

You could probably spend a half day online just checking out different kinds of techie flashlights at sites like this:
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/features/chart_manu.htm . (Saw a dandy one there called a Tigerlight Gold for about $200 with accessories.)  But my personal limit of comparing flashlights and most other things seems to be about 5 to 10 minutes .  Guess that's why I don't go shopping much with my wife ;-)

|_____/    \  ~ Chuck Bealke ~ bealke at airmail.net ~
( )       \__/             http://www.plowsong.com