[AT] LED flashlights

Bill Brueck b2 at chooka.net
Thu Dec 22 19:16:25 PST 2005

In my other life I'm a cave explorer, and EVERYBODY in the caving community
has had LED lights for a season or more now.  The big draw is the battery
life; we go from 2-4 hours on incandescent lights to many 10's of hours with
the LED's.  But I don't like the focus of the lights as well.  In the cave
where we're trying to see limited distances they are fine but I also have an
LED Mag light at home, multiple D cells kind of light, and you can't see any
distance with it because it doesn't focus.  The panel of LED's is too broad
to focus.

Actually, I still use a carbide lamp for most of my caving, unless I'll be
down in serious water.  But there aren't many of us carbide cavers left.  I
think most cavers quit before they get to my age.  I'm just more careful
about what kind of trip I get myself into any more.  Mainly I don't want to
spoil a good trip for those in the crew who are more capable.

Where battery life isn't an issue, I stick with incandescent.

B²

Bill Brueck (brick)
Chatfield, MN, USA

Confusion is a higher state of knowledge than ignorance.