[Farmall] Leaking cylinder head

Ed and Mary Gilliland egilliland at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 21 17:13:05 PST 2005

I am hoping that I may have the leak fixed.  I removed the stud nut and
washer where it was leaking, and gave it a good coating of high temp. RTV
silicone gasket sealer.  I retorqued the nut, and let it set for 2 days.  I
filled the radiator with coolant 2 hours ago, and so far so good.  The leak
was at the threads on top of the stud, so the washer was doing its job
against the head.

This head, and 2 others that I have seen, does indeed have  5/8 " O.D.
sleeves that are pressed into the three holes near the center of the head.
The sleeves are 4 1/4 " long, which means that they go from top of head to
bottom, all the way thru the head. The I.D. of the sleeves is big enough to
allow the stud to pass thru.  Head Casting #8043 DC on a 1950 H.  The only
reason that I can see for them is that they are used to seal off the water
jacket inside the head.  Probably had to do with the manufacture of the
casting.

I only have 4 studs that extend down into the water jacket of the block.
They are located on the manifold side of the head and block. I don't have a
problem there with any leaks, after I coated them with the same sealer.

Thanks for your reply .  These old tractors are a real challenge for a
country boy like me.  But, I have enjoyed it.

Ed