[AT] Slightly off topic/ tow truck related

charlie hill chill8 at cox.net
Thu Dec 15 05:09:22 PST 2005

Thanks Grant that's a good idea.  In this particular case I don't think it's
a ground problem but your advice is sound.  I chased a problem for over a
year on my pickup a few years ago that was exactly that.
To begin with it ran rough but ONLY when the cruise control was on.  If
finally got to the point I just stopped trying to use cruise control.  Then
in time it started running rough all the time and eventually got to be
undriveable.  I'll spare you the details but it wound up being a  ground
wire in the cruise control module that grounded to a stud in the thermostat
housing.  The double nuts on the stud were tight on the ground but the stud
was about a quarter turn slack in the intake.  Anti-freeze had seeped into
the connection.

Several mechanics couldn't find it.  I couldn't find it with the data from
any of the aftermarket manuals.  I finally took it to a small GM dealer who
would let me go into the shop and talk to the mechanic.
He listened to me but still insisted on going back over everything I had
already tried.  He even put on a few parts like an ignition module.  When
none of that worked I asked him to look in his manuals for grounding specs
on the cruise control.  He did.  Then he checked the ground with his
multimeter, nodded his head and tightened the stud.  Problem solved.  I had
tightened the nuts myself but never thought to check to see if the stud was
tight enough in the aluminum intake.

He was nice enough to take the new electronic parts off and put them back in
the parts room...no charge.  If I hadn't been there I'm not sure he would
have been that nice but I appreciated it anyway.

Steve Williams contacted me off list about the problem I'm having now and
with some more background information that I haven't posted on the list I
think he nailed it.  I haven't checked yet but I'm pretty sure  he will be
right.    ....... Air leak in fuel return line from the emissions cansiter.

Thanks to everyone for their help.  As usual you can count on the memebers
of this list to come through.

Charlie