[AT] Some ads from the 12/3 Lancaster Farming

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Wed Dec 14 04:29:25 PST 2005

Dean VP wrote:
> Dudley:
>
> They speak funny back East. Sometimes spreader and splitter sound the same.
> :-)
When reading the ads in Lancaster Farming, you need to remember a couple
of things about the area where the ads come from: many of the farmers
are 7th generation Amish of one variation or another and this means that
many of them speak a kind of English that is a mix of 18th century
German and English. In addition, the Amish traditionally sent their
children to school only through the primary grades (some of that has
changed in recent years), so what you see in the ads is their best
approximation of how they speak in their daily activities and written as
best they can figure out. Finally, if the handwritten submissions to the
paper are not clear, busy key entry clerks have to make their best quick
guess as to what the subscriber was trying to convey. And yes, sometimes
it is pretty funny to read, but I make no attempt to correct the
spelling when I compose my message, unless it is pretty obvious.

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Website: <www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when
we created them. -Albert Einstein, physicist, Nobel laureate (1879-1955)