[AT] 8N Hard Steering - Update

Dudley Rupert drupert at premier1.net
Thu Dec 8 18:11:08 PST 2005

George,

Good advice particularly on wide fronts like the 8Ns which only have the one
zirk fitting per axle end.  By way of contrast my Farmall MTA WFE (Schwartz)
and John Deere B WFE both have two zirk fittings per axle end with the lower
zirk being just above the thrust bearing.  On these two tractors it has not
been difficult to get grease out the bottom of the spindle without raising
the front end.  So if I can just remember when greasing the front of the 8N
to first jack up the tractor I will probably be OK ... but remembering to do
it now that's another story.

Thanks for your input -
Dudley
Snohomish, Washington

In my experience failure of the spindle thrust bearings is fairly common.
That's why I suggested it could be your friend's problem.  Even with regular
greasing the bottom may not get any grease.  The best thing is to jack up
the front end so the indicator grease comes out the bottom instead of the
top... that will assure some gets to the thrust bearing.

George Willer