[AT] How do you clean your tractors?

Larry D. Goss rlgoss at evansville.net
Wed Dec 7 22:03:59 PST 2005

I'm sure the way I treat my show tractor is a little unorthodox, Al, but
it works for me.  Before I head out to a show, I wash it thoroughly with
my pressure washer.  That tests the integrity of the seals, the
electrical insulation, the paint job, the decals, and everything else.
It also gets rid of the dust.  I figure that if I don't have enough
confidence in my own restoration work to give it such an acid test, I
don't have any right to go out and show it off.  The first time you wash
a tractor that way, you'll find out whether or not you did the job
right.  The only thing I protect from the high pressure stream of water
is the leather seat.  The leather I used is porous enough to let
high-pressure water through and I'd just as soon that the padding didn't
get soaked.

Sometimes the thunder storms I have to drive through in order to get to
a show give the tractor another pressure washing.  I drove through
driving downpours to get to two shows last summer and ended up having to
drain the settling bowl on the gas tank before unloading from the
trailer.  The only opening on the tank is the little vent hole in the
cap, but...  I guess I could start putting a baggy over the filler cap
during transport.

Larry