[AJD] Service Manual Question

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Wed Dec 7 19:19:25 PST 2005

Kenneth:

The lowest cost manual you can buy from JD today is $30, not matter whether
it is on paper or CD. Or 6 pages or 50 pages. They are all reprints to a
degree in 8 1/2" x 11 format. Most original manuals of from the 40's and
50's were in 6" x 9" format. I would estimate that most original manuals
sell for less than the reprints from Deere today with some exceptions. Some
original tractor Operators Manuals and Service Manuals sometimes go for more
than the reprints but that is not a general rule.

I have never quite understood why someone would pay more for a reprint than
a good original. Implement manuals are a minimum of $30 from Deere in
reprint form and originals many times sell for very little or just a few
dollars. I suspect that will change over time. There are many of the reprint
manuals from Deere that are close to $100 and more.

You can check out the prices for JD's reprint manuals at
www.jdparts.deere.com. Just enter the manual # and a price will come up. If
you follow the manual part number with a "CD" you will receive a price for
the manual on CD. Manuals on CD are less expensive than the printed versions
but start out at $30.00 just like the paper versions.

99% of the over 1000 JD manuals I have here are originals due to the fact
they were much, much less expensive than JD's new reprints. The best
purchase I ever made relative to manuals however was buying the Vintage
Parts catalogs on CD when they had almost all the 2 cylinder tractor parts
catalogs on CD for $75.00.  About $1400 worth of paper manuals at today's
price from Deere. At the time I thought $75 was expensive but that was a Fig
Newton of my imagination.

I like the CD versions because I just print out the pages I need at the
moment and take them to the shop. If they get dirty and greasy I just throw
the page away. With paper manuals you would prefer not to have that happen.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

Forbidden fruits create many jams!

www.deerelegacy.com