[Farmall] !@#$% cub oil leaks / gears grinding

Mike Sloane mikesloane at verizon.net
Wed Dec 7 14:30:23 PST 2005

Hello, Dave. I hope this isn't the Cub that I sold you, but if it is, I
guess you have put a few hours on it in the last several years.

While you probably could do the front seal without taking everything
apart, the leak you have through the transmission access cover sounds to
me like the front transmission seal is shot, and you will have to split
the tractor to do that seal. The front transmission seal is very easy to
replace and not expensive. But you don't have to drop the pan. It also
sounds like your clutch may be due for some work as well, so you might
as well just "bite the bullet" and do everything at once. Since you
depend on the Cubs for your livelihood, this is a good time of year to
do everything right and be ready for spring. The condition of your
transmission fluid suggests that you might as well just drain the old
stuff out and replace it with new 90 wt - you have water from years of
condensation. You should probably drain and refill the final drives
while you are at it.

The good news is that splitting the Cub is not a terribly difficult job
and is something that you can do with average hand tools. I suggest that
you invest in a Cub service manual from Binder Books
<www.binderbooks.com>, as the manual walks you through the procedures
very nicely. The only thing I do differently from the manual is use
hunks of wood cribbing to support the engine under the pan, rather than
the special steel stands that were apparently part of every IH shop's
equipment. You also need a couple of tapered wood wedges, but that is
something an experienced woodworker like you either has or can make in a
minute. The wedges are driven between the axle and the lower engine
casting to keep the front of the tractor from tipping to the side when
you remove the back half. What I usually do is remove the drive shaft
and use it for a pilot when installing the clutch, then put it back in
when I put the tractor back together. The most expensive piece (aside
from a complete clutch assembly), if you have to replace it, is the
throw-out "bearing", which is actually a graphite ring and needs to be
greased from time to time through that access hatch. If you replace it,
be sure to install it with the zerk fitting facing down...

One of the nice things about the Cub PTO is that you can engage the pto
and use a Vice-Grip wrench on the output splines to turn the input shaft
when you are putting things back together. I use one of those
inexpensive 1-ton rolling floor jacks to support the back half of the
tractor, which makes it easy to move the back half around and position
it for putting back together.

Contact me off-line for any further information,

Mike

--
Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
mikesloane at verizon.net
Website: <www.geocities.com/mikesloane>
Images: <www.fotki.com/mikesloane>

"What is past is prologue." William Shakespeare (1564-1616)