[AT] Have a safe Holiday!

Gerald Johnson geraldajohnson at bellsouth.net
Mon Dec 5 07:34:03 PST 2005

Well...since I have raised Frasier Fir for about 25 years, I'll jump in on
this one.  My county (Avery) is one of the largest if not the largest
producer in the state and to the best of my knowledge, none of the growers
treat trees with fire retardant.  If any are treated I would say it is done
on the retail lot.  If a Frasier Fir is fresh it is extremely hard to burn.
I have seen demonstrations where newspaper is wadded up and placed inside
the tree branches and then set on fire.  The paper burned up and the tips of
some of the fir needles were browned but that was it.   HOWEVER, let them
get dry and it is a different story!   That's why we always advise folks to
re-trim the butt off before putting it in the stand so that it can take up
water to prevent dryness.   A lot of our growers that also have retail lots
have lost their large tree (10 feet and over) market in commercial buildings
due to fire laws that prohibit live trees.  Maybe you didn't use the right
kind of match Charlie? 8-)

Gerald