[AT] Union Labor

Dean VP deanvp at att.net
Sun Dec 4 12:58:36 PST 2005

I would like to share my only personal experience with a union. It was not a
good one. I worked for Western Electric for a couple years in the early
60's. I don't recall now whether I was required to join the union or not but
at that particular time I needed a job and this was about as good as I could
find in that particular period in NW Iowa. I joined the CWA, Communication
Workers of America, and was a member for awhile attending all the meetings,
etc.

However, I just could not condone what the union was proposing and doing. I
won't go into detail. In a fit of anger at a Union Meeting I turned in my
Union card. I resigned from the union without really knowing what the
ramifications might be. Well, I found out. For some odd reason my work
quality started deteriorating! My work was being sabotaged. Fortunately I
had a boss who realized what was going on so it didn't impact me from the
company point of view. But there were ramifications.

Later on I was offered a paid transfer to California and accepted it. By
this time things had settled down.  After 6 months, rather than accept a
paid transfer back to NW Iowa, I resigned and took a new position with a
different company. From that point on I never ever joined a union again.

Only a sample of one experience. YMMV.

Dean A. Van Peursem
Snohomish, WA 98290

Forbidden fruits create many jams!