[AT] Union Labor

Steve W. falcon at telenet.net
Sun Dec 4 06:32:56 PST 2005

I just love everyone bashing Wal~Mart when they really DON'T know about
the place. If you believe the crap that the UNIONS put out about it you
may think that the place is terrible.
Guess what, The are LYING.
My wife is a 5 year employee of Wal~Mart. Loves the place. As for being
poorly compensated

Distribution centers:
Starting pay 10.15 hr   (wife is at 15.75 Hr. with another raise coming
in Jan.)
Full health ins. with dental and vision (4 different plans offered as
well as 2-3 variations in each plan so you can pick the best fit)
Insurance for short and long term disability (above any required ins.)
Safety bonuses
Quarterly Incentive pay bonuses (last one was 900.00)
12 paid holidays (she also gets paid for them if she isn't even supposed
to work those days)
2 weeks paid vac.  (3 weeks after 5 years and add one week every 3 years
till you hit 5 weeks)
3 weeks paid sick time.
They also pay for tuition if your taking work related classes at
college/school.

Stores:
Greeters are the only ones getting under 8.00 hr. (for a reason, care to
guess why most of them seem to be retirees or disabled persons? (Hint
Social security has a wage cap))
Most start at 8.50 and up.
If you are full time (red smocks are full time management, maroon are
full time front end, blue smocks can be full or part time depending on
the job.)
Full time have the same benefits as the distribution centers.
Part time/entry level jobs are mainly filled with college students or
folks who like the flexible hours and just want to earn some extra
money. Just about like working at any other entry level job.

The REAL reason that they are a target of unions is simple MONEY. Many
unions are losing members as they discover that union membership is
costing them jobs. Now the big unions know this and are frantic that
they will lose all the money and power they have so they are flailing
away like a little piglet, just trying to find another teat to suck on.
Wal~Mart just happens to be the largest employer in the US. So they
become a target. The problem is that most of the employees already like
it there and don't want anything to do with unions. SO the unions put up
a bunch of crap to make them look like white knights trying to save
these poor folks from themselves.

Steve Williams
Who is trying to get into the Distribution center....

<at at lists.antique-tractor.com>
> Sent: Saturday, December 03, 2005 3:51 PM
> Subject: Re: [AT] Union Labor
>

> > It's at least Danny and I who have noticed the lop sided loyalty of
many
> > workers.  They seem to think their employers owe them more loyalty
than
> > they owe their employer.  Hogwash!!!  The most vocal ones are the
least
> > likely to understand it's a two way street.  Some even seem
(wrongly) to
> > think their union produces something for them that is not there
already.
> > Their company owes them exactly nothing beyond their current pay
check,
> > which settles their account... unless they somehow think they owe
the
> > company more than their skill and time.
>

> Well, the union provides a united front to bargain for better wages
and
> benefits, including a safer workplace and rudimentary health and
pension
> benefits.   This is actually a social good, as the taxpayers end up
> subsidizing corporate free-loaders like WalMart whose employees are so
> poorly compensated they sooner or later end up on the dole for their
health
> care and pensions.   Without unions, the extremes of wealth and penury
in
> America would be even more pronounced.
>
> Yes, many unions are corrupt; they are nothing more than a mirror of
modern
> American society as a whole.  What can one do?   Destroy the
corruption and
> you will destroy the system.   Corruption holds the system together.
Not