[AJD] unleaded gasoline

Michael Dixon mpmbd at yadtel.net
Sat Dec 3 08:53:29 PST 2005

My opinion is often quickly derided, so I offer only some facts which may
help you decide. In 1949, Oldsmobile introduced a high compression overhead
valve V-8 engine. Prior to that Oldsmobile offered only flathead 6 and 8
cylinder engines. For several years after 1949, the engine was improved each
year for more power output and was considered to be one of the best
performing available. Even won the NASCAR Southern 500. About the same time,
Amoco introduced their premium gasoline, both in price and claimed
performance. No lead! A big bragging point in their (Amoco) advertising.
Olds owners in my area often refused to use any other fuel in their cars.
Not once did I ever hear of a problem with the use of the Amoco premium.
Since that time, the Amoco premium has always been non-leaded. Draw your own
conclusions.