[AJD] Hood Bolts

Louis louis at kellnet.com
Thu Dec 1 17:13:50 PST 2005

You need to be careful while heating around cast.  It can crack from heating
the bolt. The entire area of cast should be preheated with a torch.

I usually have luck with easy outs.  There is a reason why it broke in the
first place. Because it is stuck for some reason.  So it needs to be unstuck
some how.  The easy out replaces the bolt or screw head that is missing. The
best thing to do is heat the hardware before you try to remove it.  That way
you end up with less broken bolts.

The trick is that you need to heat the bolt. This may take several heating
and cooling cycles.  I then use canning wax, you can use a crayon or candle
also.  I touch the wax to the hot metal.  The wax will penetrate into the
thread and act as lubricant.  Wait till the metal cools from red hot.  The
paraffin in the wax can catch on fire.

Another trick, if there is enough of a stub sticking out of the hole, you
can weld a nut to it.  The heat from the welding should loosen up the bolt
and then you have something to put a wrench on.  You also don't have to work
about drilling the bolt out.

Before I would try to melt the bolt out.  I would try to drill it out.
Don't worry about the threads.  You can go to NAPA and get a Heli-Coil kit
for a reasonable price.  They are cheap then the aggravation of trying to
not mess the threads up with a torch.

Lou

mailto:louis at kellnet.com