[AT] LED flashlights

George Willer gwill at toast.net
Fri Dec 23 19:33:43 PST 2005

> Hank,
>   They already exist. LEDs are MUCH more efficient than incandescent
> lighting. They are also already in use in RVs and autos for lighting,
> including headlights in some vehicles. They do not have to be
> directional either. It is very easy to make the lens into a flood beam.
> Just toss a couple LEDs inside a housing with a reflector and you have a
> nice flood beam.

I don't really have any direct knowledge of the efficiency, but a little
thought suggests that all the energy consumed has to be accounted for
somehow.  Since LEDs make very little heat, noise, or motion, I would expect
them to be efficient at making light.  Maybe with a little luck they will
eventually replace those !#$%^& blue headlights that increase safety by
blinding oncoming drivers!

George Willer