[AT] Auction truck

Grant Brians gbrians at hollinet.com
Thu Dec 22 08:39:57 PST 2005

I will ignore Walt Davies comment about my favorite brand of trucks and
cars.... But I will identify the truck for the list. It is an M series
Studebaker. It has factory front bumper, original paint scheme (some trucks
came with the two toned fenders - the black color), original wheels and
looks ok. The M series was made from 1941 to 1948 and came in models from
the M5 half ton pickup to the M17 two ton model. This one looks to be either
an M15 or M16 1.5Ton model and the frame length suggests that it was a grain
box or stake bed originally, probably a 12' bed. It does not have the
chromed grille so I would bet that the cab is the standard model. The
carrying capacity is around 6-8tons of load.
    Parts are readily available for the M series in general and if the
engine is original it has a Commander flat head six inline engine, either
245 or 226 cubic inches. A very good farm truck! It can pull a trailer
nicely too. Top speed is probably about 55mph on flat land and it is much
happier in the 45mph range. It should go for anywhere between $500 and $2500
US depending on condition. They do rust behind the door in the cab wall
where the floor connects if not protected just like nearly every truck of
that vintage. It can be easily fixed with new metal and undercoating, but is
an issue.
     I hope someone who appreciates it will acquire this truck!
        Grant Brians
        Hollister, California
p.s. In the interest of full disclosure I have a 1946 Studebaker M16 flat
bed truck with stock box that has the factory red paint on it.... It has the
common setup of a two speed axle. I like those two speeds on them.