[AT] O.T. -- genealogy

Indiana Robinson robinson at svs.net
Wed Dec 21 20:10:57 PST 2005

On 21 Dec 2005 at 21:45, Herbert Metz wrote:

> I have neglected my genealogy project for several years.    The program I was using would be over ten years old.    Would appreciate opinions on functional, modest priced programs of today.
> TIA, Herb

Hi Herb:

	Go to:
http://www.legacyfamilytree.com/
	I tried dozens of programs and some were just silly junk
and some were better but not natural to use. Some are set
up to steal and resell your hard work.  I finally settled
on Legacy and have been most pleased for several years.
Lots of ways to store lots of different types of
information including pictures and good internal problem
checking, like people living too long or born after they
died etc. Also lots of possible reports built in.
	You can down-load the free version and try it then if you
want you can pay and upgrade. If you pay and upgrade the
information you have put into it will still be there intact
and will flow right into the new version. They have tons of
support including a forum. The manual is quite good.
Backing up is quick and easy. Just for safety I keep a copy
on a floppy disk, a CD, a zip disk and on the hard drives
of 3 other computers plus a copy off site... Too dang much
work in it to take any chances.   :-)   I don't try to
chronicle every 23rd cousin's kids but it is up to over
1700 names. Some of them required an awful lot of hours to
sort out.
Happy digging...

--
"farmer"

Francis Robinson
Central Indiana, USA
robinson at svs.net

	I have created a local Shopsmith users list for my area.
It is described as follows:
This is to be a list for Shopsmith owners and want to be
owners in the general area of Indiana. If you are across
the line in OH or IL that is fine too. I don't want to draw
a hard line but I hope for all members to be within a
reasonable driving distance of each other. This list is for
sharing woodworking tips and stories and Shopsmith tips and
stories but also is to be used for the buying, selling and
swapping of Shopsmith tools, accessories and parts between
members of this list.